- February 15, 2020
The challenge to defy convention
A thin layer of Acrylic paint dries in roughly a 10 minute period of time. For this reason acrylic paint is considered a very forgiving medium. In a classically painted acrylic piece a series of layers are used to create a final representation of the subject & imagery. In this process an artist has a forgiving window in the journey to fine tune their vision. If a brushstroke is misplaced the artist has the option to take it back a few layers by painting over the target area. This ultimately clears the pallet in preparation to then work forward with an extra attempt to achieve their intended goal. Ultimately this technique can be performed a countless amount of times until the artist is happy with their final piece.
I aimed to defy the conventional creative process in the Panthera Series by retaining the primary base layer. This first layer was applied as a textured abstract. This is meant to convey, both literally & figuratively, a wall. From here I worked with deep precision to build form while aiming to ensure the base background was left untouched. This process left a very low margin for error as any misplaced brushstroke would force me to paint over it. Any corrections, in turn, would cause the base layer to disappear behind several layers of paint.
The invisible layers in ‘Strength’
#2 Panthera Collection, holds 5 distinct layers…
- Layer 1: The first layer is the design of the flower of life which is penciled into the surface of the canvas. This can be seen when the painting is held up to the light. This to me is a powerful symbol that embodies the deepest connection we have to one another.
- Layer 2: is the base abstract
- Layer 3: the emerging figure of the tiger painted with an infusion of copper iridescent acrylic & metal leaf
- Layer 4: a layer of invisible UV paint that activates in the dark under black light. The result is a playful Cheshire cat staring back at you with a smile. This layer symbolizes our pure & playful spirit beyond the physical human form.
- Layer 5: Is transforming animated brushstrokes through augmented reality. This layer is intended to bring the viewer into an experience that represents the psychedelic state.
ShopFine Art Giclee Print
Auction – Purchase original work
- Panthera Collection